Summer is here and we want to ensure that our patients and families are fully prepared for a safe and fun-filled season!
Here are a few tips from our MAPA physicians:
• Sunscreen is recommended for children 6 months of age and older.
• Babies less than 6 months of age should avoid direct sunlight.
• Reapply sunscreen frequently.
AVOIDING VECTOR-BORNE DISEASES
• Ticks and mosquitoes are common vectors of these diseases.
• DEET is the active ingredient in most insect repellents.
• Children 2 months of age and older should be protected with a product containing less than 30% DEET.
• Other options include lemon eucalyptus oil and 2% soybean oil.
INJURY PREVENTION AND TREATMENT
• Pay close attention when hiking on trails in our beautiful mountains.
• Treat minor injuries with RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
• Major injuries such as visible deformities should be addressed in the Emergency Department.